About Me

Monday 1 February 2016

Becoming "That" Person From High School

Fact #2: You are effectively back in high school.

While it may be a silent rule, you will have a curfew. As a silent killer, you will undoubtedly be compelled to return home early since your parents will “stay up until you get home,” or harass you via texting until you are safely back within the walls of their home.  You will be ordered to run strange errands. You will whine to your parents that they “DO NOT UNDERSTAND.” You will blast music to block out the fact that your parents are trying to listen in on your in depth phone conversations. Lastly, you will find yourself wearing pyjamas way more than what is considered acceptable, despite your attempt to maintain your grown-up status.

Survival Tip: Fake Adulthood Anyway
Just because you’re back to your status of high school living, avoid giving in to the situation. Retain your university graduate persona and take your adult approach to life back home with you.
A) Get Out:
This is the one time that creating structure for your life and being organized can actually be worth it. Get into a routine like you would if you were still in school- hit the gym, take a class, volunteer, but most importantly LEAVE THE HOUSE (preferably before the Price is Right comes on).
B) Wardrobe:
Change out of your PJ’s everyday regardless on if you plan on leaving the house that day or not. I am telling you this for your own good, it’s for your sanity folks.
Me, myself and I doing the dishes.
C) Domestic Dignity: Folks I’m only going to say it once: if you have a degree and can’t unload the dishwasher…you have bigger issues.
·    DO YOUR OWN LAUNDRY (click here for instructions).
·    CLEAN YOUR OWN DISHES.
·    COOK YOUR OWN dinner at least once a week (take-out not included). The Food Network knows how it's done.

(What a laundry room looks like)



6 comments:

  1. I don't live with my parents and still wear my pj's all day long if I don't leave my house, which is very often these days! That's a more general issue, I think!! And I would love to have my mom doing laundry for me or worrying about me everyday! I learned that being an adult is not the coolest, and when you leave your parents for good that's when you miss them the most, so be careful with what you wish!!! Great blog, really funny posts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    I really enjoyed this post- even though I don't live with my parents, I feel as though it still applies to me. Sometimes I don't want to get out my pjs, or do the dishes or cook meals. BUT, the reality is, I should get out of my pjs and return to my adulthood status.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! You definitely made some valid points, which I think everyone in this situation can relate - especially harassment via text. Getting out of your PJs and cooking meals can be tough, but we all have to act like the adults we are at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of strange errands I run for my mom. What? She needs 4 pork loins right away to start making sausage? Well I guess I have no choice but to go get them. Really enjoy this blog Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't move away from home until after I was done college, so my experience is different. That being said, I still like going "home." I guess there's a feeling of comfort and security avaiable at my parents that I still long for from time to time. I'm sure your advice will be useful for other millenials who face movng home after post-secondary school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've definitely fallen into the trap of letting my mom take over so many of my responsibilities. Really need to take those back into my own hands. Hate how she hangs it over my head.

    ReplyDelete