About Me

Monday 8 February 2016

Privacy is a Privilege



Fact #3: What’s yours is theres baby – The dissemination of personal space.

Away at school we all got used to being able to speak as LOUD as we wanted to. Cherish the memories of being able to graze casually in the fridge at 1 a.m. without having to worry about the sleepers upstairs. Unfortunately, this new situation affects your parents just as much as it affects you. Reality is, you share a lot more, you give up privacy, but so do they. Family psychologist Susan Newman's research suggests that adjusting expectations and attitudes can significantly improve the time spent together and even make privacy an easier issue to deal with. I have found with my experience that little things can make a huge difference.


Survival Tip: Create your own bubble  

A) The Bedroom 
I have a relatively small room, but this small room is all I have to work with to maintain my private life. When you move back home – make your room somewhere that you LOVE. This may involve making some changes, moving some things around or doing some DIY to make it yours again. Get inspired from these easy tips here

SIDE NOTE: Please don’t let your parents try and clean your room for you.

B) The Common Space
As much as I love my bedroom, I also don’t like to see the same four walls all day. I personally enjoy seeing the rest of the house during the day. It may be difficult, but try to feel comfortable watching TV and hanging out with your parents. Establish some simple rules (or in my case ‘signals’) that enable you to be left alone, while being outside of your room. My signal for privacy from my parents generally revolves around me being focused on my laptopreading, or not being chatty (this is an obvious one for my parents because I am known to never be quiet). 

*You will find your own ways to tell your parents you’re not in the mood to be social – just be gentle, they’re only biologically programmed to love you.





6 comments:

  1. Great tips, Lauren! Adjusting expectations is definitely the best way to go if you want to have a peaceful co-existence with your parents. I agree with the bedroom being a good place to create a "bubble", and if you happen to have a nice finished basement, that's another good place to set up shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh! I can relate as well! When I moved home from school, it took me one night to learn that I have to watch Law & Order at a lower volume!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making my bedroom my own space is something I developed at home and carried forward living with room mates. Sometimes I take it so far, being too quiet that no one realizes I'm home, but I'm fine with that. It is my place to sequester from everything else. You're right in that having it all the time can be draining, but setting it up is so important when living with others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren this hit too close to home, specifically the home I now share with my mom and two younger brothers. My bedroom has definitely become my sanctuary and I leave mainly to do laundry or to search for food. Looking forward to more tips and tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bedroom is my castle. I need it to be as I prefer spending most of my time in it haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents leave for 6 months of the year and come back for the summer. It's so hard readjusting.

    ReplyDelete