About Me

Monday 7 March 2016

Getting Over the Stigma

Fact: It Won’t Always be Sunshine and Daisies

Since I’ve been living at home, I’ve had mixed feelings—depressed because I feel stuck at home and I can’t support myself, but sometimes thankful to have been able to improve my relationship with my parents. Sob stories are a dime a dozen, but there is nothing worse than a bunch of bomerangers whining about their lot in life? No, the job market isn’t the same as it was in 1980, and no, wages haven’t necessarily increased to support the cost of living. Yes, the research is true, we are being taught to sacrifice our dreams to pay bills. Guess what? Get. Over. It.
Survival Tips: When life doesn’t even give you a lemon—go out, find one, and make lemonade.
A) Seize the Opportunity: Don’t feel sorry for yourself. Make job searching your full-time job. Even though I am attending school still while at home, I am soon to graduate and apply to jobs on a constant, daily if not weekly, basis. There are some great tips out there on how to get started.

B) Learn From Other Cultures: Here’s the deal- In most other cultures, and even more recently in Canada, you have multiple generations living under the same roof. This isn’t weird to them, and it also isn’t something to be ashamed of. Obviously they were doing something right. Check out this research article to see how they succeeded by emphasizing family values and care for one another. 
C) Don't Let the Stigma Exist: Many researchers and sociologists report that with the rise of boomerang kids, the stigma that previously existed with it is diminishing. Enter and exit your childhood home everyday with your head held high.
Lastly, Don't ever forget to laugh. 

8 comments:

  1. Yes, one of the biggest thing is trying to look for a job to support yourself. It is more about the fear of applying to me personally. A lot of people have to drive, but if they have it good at home, some just don't bother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight into "boomrangers" and the stigma attached. I would much rather be living with my parents while in school than watching my bank account plummet #stopthestigma

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who has moved out of their parents basement then moved back into that basement and then moved out of the basement again only to find themselves back in that basement for a third time I really have been relating to your blog. I think the challenge is not feeling like you have failed. I used to get down on myself a lot but it's important to note this isn't a permanent situation. It's about saving money and using it as stepping stone to build the life you want. I'm just lucky I've got really understanding parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quote:"Survival Tips: When life doesn’t even give you a lemon—go out, find one, and make lemonade." I understand what "boomrangers"mean after I read your post. Actually, I think there are different thoughts about children live with parents. In China, it is a common sense which people live with their parents no matter who have a job or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone also living at home I feel you. Previous to reading your blog I had never heard the term bomerangers. I guess you learn something new every day! I like the tips you post, cant wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After coming to canada, I never understood the stigma of living with parents as this is very common in India. I appreciate how you have described this situation oves the past weeks and I think there's alot of good things that comes from living with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before moving to Canada. I have lived my whole life with my parents and I really miss that now, its very supportive when you are studying and working part-time. Your survival tips are really useful and on the point. Great Post!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how you express the experience of living with parents. I was living with my parents until the day I left my country and came to Canada as it is common in India to stay with parents and family. I really miss that as parents play a supportive in every situation.

    ReplyDelete